Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Call me Martha Stewart... err... maybe not

Because I like to bake, I made a batch of molasses cookies last night and brought a dozen in to share. I also get a strange pleasure in watching all these diet-crazed females, who go on and on about how they don't eat carbs, gobble up the first confection they spy in the "up for grabs" place in the office kitchen. When Musketeer #1 found out that I made them, he asked "Ok, what'd you put in them?". I told him I put play-nice powder in them. That got a chuckle out of Musketeer #3.

So far everyone likes the cookies, but no one has put them to as much scrutiny as Musketeer #1. He came over to my desk to tell me what he thought.

Musketeer #1: Wow, what a little Susie Homemaker you are. I'm impressed- nice rounded shape, nice and brown on the bottom but not burnt, and you even put those sugar crystals on top. Pretty nice!

I thanked him, but I found this odd, especially from a man. I mean, I figured men and cookies were kind of like men and sex- they're just happy that you show up. If he's that analytical about his cookies, I hate to see what his poor wife is subjected to.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a little Susie Husbandlover you are. I'm impressed - nice hourglass shape, nice and round on the bottom, but not J. Lo, and you even put those sugar crystals on top. Pretty nice!


Mr. Ring of Fire

10:49 AM  
Blogger Zippy Buggleshorts said...

Baking appeals to certain Type A personalities because it all boils down to precise measurements and chemisty. My husband, for example, is a much better baker than me when he chooses to do so. He makes notes in the cookbook and doesn't get distrcted by the good part in the movie when he's supposed to be watching the oven. I'm more of the throw "everything in the mixing bowl and see what happens" kind of gal. Which is great for cooking, but can have mixed results with pastries.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that Musketeer notices the cookies. He might be a secret baker - slip him the recipe and see what happens.

11:27 AM  
Blogger darth said...

like jane, i'm more of a throw good ingredients together kinda cook too..i see recipes as more of a guideline than a rule..which is why baking isn't my strong suit either. plus, nothing i make ever comes out the same way twice.

love the description of how the office reacts to food; its all so familiar. do you work with me?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Zippy Buggleshorts said...

When I was the receptionist at a dot.com in the mid-90's , I was responsible for going grocery shopping for the entire office. Most of my interaction with my coworkers consisted of requests for the Santa Fe Chicken Lean Cuisines and type of Snapple they wanted. Anyway, someone posted a cartoon of a bunch of office workers salivating over a tray of bread crusts...mmmm...bread crusts. Free food is just another opportunity to leave the cubicle I guess.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Mister Underhill said...

I think he wants to do you.

4:06 PM  
Blogger wizardsheart said...

that is just bizarre. i never heard anyone comment about the "shape" of a cookie.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home