Tuesday, November 23, 2004

"I wash my hands of your demolition"

It used to be that Nutjob provided weeks worth of amusing stories and anecdotes, stunning us with her stupidity and quirky obsessiveness. But my posts about her have become less amusing and more frustrating as she slips further into her delusions. I have come to two conclusions here. The first is that the world she has created for herself is beginning to crumble, so she is scrambling all the harder to maintain it, and nothing anyone says will get through those walls. The second is that there is nothing we can do about it. It's as if she were a drug addict... the desire to make a change has to come from her. No amount of people telling her that she's living in a dream world will make her see it- she has to see it on her own. Here's what brought me to that conclusion. First off, Loserboyfriend hasn't contacted her at all since the weekend. She has been talking to everyone in his family and all her friends and even a shrink about how they're going to fix their relationship, but he has been missing from all this planning. She is now saying that the only reason she brought up marriage is that she's under so much pressure from both their families, not because she wanted to get married. (Meanwhile, for the 7 years I've worked here, that's all she has been focused on, regardless of whether she was actually seeing someone). So, in her mind, she is leading a "double life"- she hasn't told her family that she and he are just going to be dating, with no commitment (keep in mind, they haven't spoken since last weekend), and her family thinks they are going to be getting married. And now, the problem of Thanksgiving has arisen. She can't go to his mother's for Thanksgiving, since they aren't even talking, but she can't stay home at her parents' house for the holiday either, or they will figure out what is going on. A woman she knows from her gym invited her to Thanksgiving, so she's got that figured out- now she just has to figure out where she's going to spend the night.

Do you see? Do you see how far this delusion has gone? I'm not even going to get into the fact that she has apparently stopped eating all together and her hair is falling out. On one hand I feel some sort of responsibility for her. Here she is, someone we all spend the whole day with every day, falling apart in our midst. Shouldn't we do something to help her? However, her friend from the other department was very blunt with her yesterday and pointed out all the horrible things he's been doing to her and just basically laid it all out on the table- and still she denied that there is anything wrong with him. She even said "he's taken me to Hawaii three times. what other guy would do that?" (Those of you who have been with me from the beginning know that SHE financed all three trips). On the other hand I realize that there is nothing any of us can do to help her. I've been there before, trying to help someone who didn't want my help, and it does nothing but cause problems for both parties. So I have to wash my hands of her. Yet I still fear one day that something awful will happen, and people will ask "why didn't anyone do something for her?" But I cannot do it. She doesn't even like me- I think she knows I wouldn't baby her like everyone else does. It's not my responsibility. She needs to do it herself.

Therefore, there will be no more posts about Nutjob insofar as they relate to her little fantasy world. If she does or says something humorous, fine. But I am done with this. It's gone too far, and it's my blog dammit, and it's supposed to be funny.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I had an inside track on this story because I've known people like this all too well. She has had all of her eggs in this guy's basket and has tried to make her fantasy (a wedding) a reality with all her might. And with him falling short, she is stretching to cover his part of the story. She'll play both characters if need be just to make sure this drama goes on. Its sad, and it only gets worse and worse until she finally will come to grips with it, and that may not happen for months or years.

So lets all be thankful for the pain in the ass real world that we all live in. That we see it as a pain in the ass, and move forward anyway is something to definitely be thankful for.

Gobble Gobble,

Mr. Ring of Turkey

9:16 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Hey whats up. I was checking out blogs and i stumbled across yours. Quite interesting. I think you might have found yourself a new reader. I'm a business major going to school at Steven F. Austin State University in Texas. Check out my blog sometime: southerngentleman.blogspot.com Have a safe holidays

3:01 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Personally, I think Nutjob IS still funny. Because if you can't laugh at people having nervous breakdowns, then who can you laugh at?

That and I just love the phrase "I wash my hands of your demolition." That's cool; can I steal that?

10:49 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:03 AM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Yes, but only if you give credit where credit's due. It's not mine (hence the quotations), it's from Jesus Christ Superstar. It's what Pilate said to Jesus after Jesus wouldn't take any of the "outs" he gave him to extricate himself from his... dilemma. According to Webber anyway. I highly doubt that line is in the Bible.

Actually the whole line is "I wash my hands of your demolition... die if you want to, you misguided martyr!", which I toyed with including, but that seemed a little harsh. Apropos, yet harsh.

10:06 AM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Argh... because I am a perfectionist, especially when it comes to quoting people and giving credit, I have to make a correction to my above post. I got them slightly out of order. The actual lines are:

"Don't let me stop your great self-destruction.
Die if you want to, you misguided martyr.
I wash my hands of your demolition.
Die if you want to you innocent puppet!"

Still fits though. ;)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Ah, JCS . . . gotcha. And, hey, you never know; there's been so many translations of the bible, maybe the New Testament really was a song and dance show....

6:04 PM  
Blogger Pink Lemonade Diva said...

I'm inclined to agree with Craig on this one. Wash your hands if you must, but could you continue to post, just for documentation purposes, say?

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home