Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Is it just this office?

I have a question for all you people out there who work in normal offices. If an adminstrative assistant regularly called in before the office manager arrived and left a voice mail saying "I'm running a little late today, I'll try to be there by 9:30", would there be any repercussions? Our office opens at 8:30, at least that's when the staff is supposed to arrive. The brokers come and go as they please. It seems to me that this is a little bit odd, but as far as my boss is concerned, it's no big deal. And in the scheme of things, it's certainly not a big deal. But somehow, everyone else manages to get here at 8:30 every day.

Just wait until we start getting snow... the concept of getting up a little earlier to clean off your car and account for bad traffic apparently is a foreign one in this office.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the receptionist here turned up that late every day here, she'd be shot down like a student protesting in Tiananmen Square. But I do work for Mao and the Dragon Lady, so it's not a fair comparison.

Fortunately, they're a little more lenient with us skilled laborers, and we're allowed to show up anytime between 8:30-9:30. Just don't let them see you leaving before 6pm, or a trip to the gulag may be in your future.

ChinaGirl

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have no office manager, so you come when you can. I'm usually about ten minutes late, but the folks above me are usually about an hour and ten minutes late, so it all evens out.

Mr. Ring of Fire

1:14 PM  
Blogger AnonymousCoworker said...

No repercussions here. No one would do anything. Then again, I work for the government, and an univeristy to boot, so no one ever gets fired.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Well, since I post with my name I'm going to hold off sharing some of the REALLY juicy tidbits, but suffice to say we've got (for a little while longer, at any rate) our own office hi-jinks. Different in specifics, but an equivalent level of head-shaking, I think.

Time among the hourlies is definitely a subjective matter for some people. And the concept of a lunch HOUR loses something in the transition from description to practice. But I think you wind up with that anywhere you go.

I'll never forget the day, at my first job, when I realized that all the bullshit dramatics that plaguyed you in high school and college exist even in the office. One of the greatest ephiphanies--and most depressing one--I've ever had.

9:08 PM  
Blogger darth said...

i don't care when the creative types show up, as long as stuff gets done-and i know they stay late, so it works out.

but the admin. staff, and management need to be on time, i mean, wtf?

9:40 PM  
Blogger Zippy Buggleshorts said...

Darth, we have a mutual friend who is habitually late for work and, in fact, has had serious trouble because of it. Personally, I think it shouldn't be that hard to get to work on time, but some people just can't do it. If they get their work done, though, then there shouldn't be a fuss. A receptionist, however, should be on time.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Pink Lemonade Diva said...

Just put my name on what Jane said.

I fill in for the receptionist when she has days off, needs to use the loo, or takes her lunch and let me tell you, every morning I pray not to hear that voicemail. "Uhh, I'm uhh, not feeling well..."

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home