Thursday, January 27, 2005

In or out of the bag?

Nutjob must be coming out of her funk, because she's slowly coming back to her center-of-attention self. Yesterday, she was in Musketeer #2's office and happened to ask where PartnerInCrime was. Musketeer #2 told her he was out at lunch, and jokingly said "he's half in the bag". There was a silence in which I swear I could hear her blinking at him, and the next thing I know, I hear the wispy little-girl ditz voice she uses when playing dumb:

Nutjob: What do you mean?

Musketeer #2, incredulous: You never heard that expression before?

Nutjob: No!

Musketeer #2: I can't believe you never heard that before, I thought everyone had heard that. It means he's drunk.

Musketeer #2 (coming out of his office): Musketeer #3, have you heard that expression?

Musketeer #3: Yeah. I actually spend half my time in the bag.

Musketeer #2: Well, you're Irish. I guess that makes sense.

Nutjob: Well, that explains it! I'm Jewish. [No shit, really?] All we care about is eating!

Musketeer #2 went on for another minute or two, muttering about how he thought everyone knew that expression. He even asked me if I'd heard it. Finally he went back into his office and things returned to normal. Not two minutes later, in walked PartnerInCrime. As he passed by Nutjob's desk, she jumped up and yelled "Are you drunk?!", laughing like an idiot.

PartnerInCrime: Uhhh.... no. But I wish I was.

Don't we all, PIC. Don't we all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who used to play dumb in that kind of duplicitous way and it annoyed the hell out of me. Its a huge mark of insecurity because you want people to think the worst of you so that you feel so much better about yourself than the way you come off. Yup, she's a puzzle inside a conundrum inside a mystery box that we should keep locked far, far away.

Mr. Ring of Fire

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home