Friday, February 18, 2005

Killing 'em with kindness

A few days ago, we had our monthly gathering in the kitchen for ice cream cake in celebration of office birthdays. This is always an amusing exercise, if only for the fact that you get to listen to the women complain about the calories/carbs/fat they're ingesting, as they happily clean their plates. This time, I also got to witness Jane with her claws out. Sugar-coated claws, but claws nonetheless.

There was a decent sized group of us all gathered in the kitchen, and my boss and some others started talking about a former director, who was famous for hiring only very young very thin model types. He's become somewhat of a legend in the office, and even the people who have been hired several years after he was unceremoniously fired know this about him. Including Jane. Jane, Nutjob and the Mosquito were sitting at the other end of the table, and as soon as Jane heard this man's name, she apparently saw her opportunity.

Jane: We'd never have gotten hired by Schmuck. His maximum age was 25.

She then turned to Nutjob, and still in her syruppy voice said

Jane: Nutjob, you and I would definitely not have been hired.

This caused Nutjob to look down at her half-eaten cake somewhat dejectedly. I actually felt sorry for her. Jane wasn't stopping there, though.

Jane: Come to think of it, you were here before me. How did you get get hired?

Nutjob: I was hired by Frank. [Schmuck's predecessor]

Jane: Oh! Well that explains it then.

I think my jaw may have dropped open. Nutjob was silent. Now, I know there have been many times when I have wished bad things on her, but this was just downright mean. I mean, at least when I wish death on Nutjob, she's actively annoying me at the time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have done what Jane did, but to the same extent, Nutjob's make-up is most likely about 25 years old, and yet she still tries to dress like she's a fit 21 year old.

Mr. Ring of Fire

2:01 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Oh wow. I know, Nutjob is a bit crazy and dumb, but that's just mean. The women dosen't hurt feelings, if she did fine, but she's just a self centered attention whore.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home