Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Gee, thanks

Well I was almost going to be social today and join the crowd in the kitchen for lunch. Almost. I heated up my frozen dinner (chicken alfredo with pasta and broccoli) in the microwave and returned to my desk to let it do it's thing. "Eve", who is pregnant again after giving birth this summer to twins, walked by and started making gagging noises and protesting loudly against "that smell". Ok, whatever. She's pregnant, she's got smell issues. I tried to ignore it. Once my food finished heating up, I took it to my desk. Then I changed my mind and thought maybe today I'd eat lunch with the loonies. As I was walking toward the kitchen, there was Eve again, carrying on about that awful smell. "What is that?! It's disgusting, ugh!"

I turned around and went back to my desk. It's one thing to be sensitive to smells when you're pregnant. It's quite another to make a big scene, including gagging noises, about how disgusting someone's lunch is. I did have to go back to the kitchen to get some water though, and as I passed by the loonies, I overheard snippets of their conversation- Musketeer #1 was going off about circumcision again. Nutjob had a bag full of slimy strawberries and was trying to pawn them off on everyone. The broker who yells with his mouth full of food was getting all nice and settled in. And Bruce, ah Bruce, was talking to anyone who would listen about his body. Yeah, definitely better off eating at my desk today.

5 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

For whatever reason I don't like eating with co-workers. Nothing against them--my new co-workers are actually quite nice--but I just lost so much interest in spending my lunch hour by socializing. Besides, we usually gab enough during the day anway. :)

Do you not midn eating at your desk? I know some people need to "get away", but for me, as long as I'm not working, it doesn't matter where I eat . . . although I do see the appeal in actually getting out of the office once in a while . . .

8:11 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

I am definitely the type who needs to get out of the office. What I've been doing lately is eating at my desk while working, and then taking my lunch hour out of the office, if possible. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way and I don't take the hour. But, even if I can't, I usually have to run to the bank to make the deposit and that's at least 15 minutes out of the office, which helps.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - didn't mean to spark such a string of comments with the firearms and diamonds. Anyway if you are ever prepared to become noisylover instead, use a secret code word in your blog. Like pillow. Or cruise.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep cruising pal or Silent Husband may come after you and snuff you with a pillow.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

I said the magic words! Where's Jambi when you need him!?!?!

Mr. Ring of Fire

9:28 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

I got a better way to deal with 'em.

Get the gimp.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home