Thursday, March 17, 2005

Leave me alone, I'm not Irish (and neither are you)

I've never really understood St. Patrick's Day, probably because I'm not Irish. It seems like a day to celebrate being Irish, which is all well and good, but when the St. Patrick's Day Police come out, I get a little annoyed. Especially when said officers aren't even Irish themselves.

Jane gets a bit of a pass- she at least is part Irish. But Nutjob? Give me a break. This morning, each person who arrived was greeted with a chorus of "Ok, where's your green?" and general badgering about the wearin' o' the green. We have a few people of Irish descent in the office, and they all kept the holiday spirit by wearing loud green ties that probably should have stayed in the back of the closet with all the other 1970's ties, but hey, all in good fun. HeadHoncho (who is Italian-American) even wore a green tie today, specifically because (as he stated) Jane gave him such a hard time about it last year. Noting my black turtleneck sweater, gray and black skirt and black tights, he grinned and said "I see SilentWitness is wearing her St. Patrick's Day outfit". You bet. Hardly distinguishable from my Spring Equinox outfit, my Arbor Day outfit, my Flag Day outfit... you get the idea. But the pinnacle of badgering came when FoulMouthedOldFart wandered back to my desk, sporting an obnoxiously bright green polo shirt. Nutjob jumped up.

Nutjob: Where's your green?!

FMOF: Huh? What are you talking about? Right here!

Nutjob (squealing): Ohhhh! I didn't notice.

Are we in third grade here? I'd hardly be surprised to have walked in today and found cardboard cutout shamrocks on all the windows. Fortunately though, I was spared Musketeer #1's antics, since he was out of the office. He never misses an opportunity to hide a picture of a leprechaun somewhere on my desk, capitalizing on the fact that leprechauns really freak me out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some green beer to go drink.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. Given that the closest landmass to Ireland is England, said snakes went there. And since we fought England for our independence a few centuries later, we Americans should appreciate St. Patrick softening up the English with those snakes.


Or get drunk figuring it out.

Mr. Ring O'Fire

9:33 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes? I hate snakes.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home