Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Anything for a day off

No need for snow days when you've got a brain as creative as Jane's. Case in point, the following conversation, which occurred yesterday.

Jane (huffing and puffing): Can you believe it? Both elevators are broken!

Me: Yeah, I discovered that when I came in. Guess we'll get our exercise today. [We're on the 3rd floor].

Jane: It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't wearing my flip flops!

Me (sort of talking to myself): Good thing Mary isn't still here. [Mary had trouble walking and would never have made it up those stairs].

Jane: Yeah! That poor older lady who doesn't walk real well is just sitting downstairs waiting for the repair men to come. She has every right to just go home.

I made some kind of noise of agreement.

Jane: In fact, WE have every right to go home!

Me: Sure you do, if you have a disability.

I wanted to add "mental ones don't count", but I thought better of it.


....And further evidence that the men I work with are pigs (as if you needed it). I overheard this comment ending a conversation between two brokers about getting old:

Broker1: I don't mind being a grandfather. It's sleeping with a grandmother that bothers me.

Har har fucking har. Like your wrinkly saggy anatomy is pleasant to look at either, you old coot.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you when it comes to Jane. "Two flights of stairs. Waaaaah. What a horrible life you have. Waaaaaaaah."

But as for the grandfather/grandmother comment, I could see a few grandmothers joking about that one too. I still think it is about a Tour de France* away from being proper work conversation but still.

*Mr. Ring of Fire likes to be topical.


Mr. Ring of Fire

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home