Thursday, August 11, 2005

Mmm, tastes like chicken

You all know my penchant for baking. Over the weekend we had the in-laws over and in my effort to win them over I baked some cookies. Since I didn't know everyone's preference, I just made simple sugar cookies. However, we went out to dinner and afterwards no one was interested in eating more than one or two. So, since they didn't seem like they'd stay fresh for long, I decided to bring them into the office on Monday. For some reason, Nutjob gushed over how delicious they were, and oh they were so good, and on and on. Ok, I appreciate the compliment, but she was really creeping me out.

Fast-forward to today (Thursday). Nutjob flounced in and put some cookies in the kitchen, then announced loudly to anyone who was here (which isn't many, it's a morgue in here in the summer) that there were cookies. Before she went up front to cover the phones she made a big deal out of telling Musketeer #3.

A few minutes later, Musketeer #3 asked if I'd had one. Is he nuts? I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Good decision on my part- apparently they taste like bacon. Now, I love bacon... but not in my cookies. I know, for the sake of the blog and good reporting, I should have one. But I have enough digestive problems without the aid of bacon flavored cookies baked by someone who picks their nose and eats it.

So now I have a quandry. Do I take the bait and get into a baking contest with her? It would be fun, and I'm sure my officemates would appreciate the benefits. I am really tempted to bring something else in on Monday just to see if she follows up with something of her own. It could be really amusing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You already won since she felt a need to try and outbake you and they tasted like bacon.

The only thing I could think of for the flavoring is:
A) Crisco or some other lard based product - but too much added

B) She didn't clean her pans

C) She actually used bacon...yicch

Where are my cookies, huh?
Ross

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nothing burps better than bacon." - Ed O'Neil in some horrible movie.

I think you should DEFINITELY bring in something on Monday just to see if she really is mimicking you. I think, as you are the head of this laboratory of insanity, that it is your moral obligation to test out your hypothesis and see if this was a one-time deal or if she really is that ultra-competitive.


Mr. Ring of Fire

9:49 AM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

As luck would have it, I was planning on baking this weekend anyway- we're going to a get-together and I want to bring something.

Ross, my money's on option B.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bake more cookies! I want to see what her next cookies taste like... Asparagus? Tobasco sauce? Vinegar?

ChinaGirl

10:11 AM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

I'm scared. I've had a dirty oven a few times only to find out my chicken tasted a little like pizza, but I've never, never had a cookie taste like bacon. And isn't she Jewish?? What on earth is she doing with bacon?!

12:45 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Ahhh, but Violet, she only adheres to kosher laws when it's convenient for her or when she wants to make a scene. Come now, you know that. ;)

1:25 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Yes I know...just pointing out is all...I'd ask her LOL then again I'm a mean person.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home