Wednesday, August 31, 2005

You have got to be kidding me.

This morning I had to change a printer toner near Bruce's cube, to my deep chagrin. I generally try to avoid doing anything in his vicinity because I really don't need to hear about how ripped he got last night, or how wonderful he is, or how he has a "6-pack going". Unfortunately, when I walked over, he wasn't there, but he came over in the midst of my highly technical work.

Bruce: Man, what a drive in this morning.

Thinking he was talking about traffic, I was about to reply that I didn't notice it being too bad. But silly me, he doesn't intend for other people to be part of his conversations other than to fawn over him.

Bruce: I mean, it was so depressing. I listened to the news the whole way in.

Me: Oh yeah, it is pretty bad isn't it.

Bruce: Ugh, it's awful. They said four days from now, gas will be $4 a gallon.

I just stared at him. He couldn't have just said what I thought he said.

Me: Uh, I think we have bigger problems to tackle than the price of gas right now.

Bruce: Well it's going to affect the whole economy. People will spend less on gas and they'll also stop spending on other things too.

He might, might have a shred of a point there, but it hardly seems to matter much in the face of hundreds of thousands of people with no place to go, many are still stranded with no clean water to drink or food to eat, the waters keep rising, and there is no way to stop looters who just wave and smile at police because after all, it's not like they can be taken to jail.

Don't talk to me about the price of gas when we don't even know how many people have died and can't do anything about their bodies yet because the living still haven't all been rescued from attics and roofs. Don't talk to me about expensive gas affecting the economy when thousands of people's livelihoods are gone, wiped out. Asshole.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty pissed at my Volcanic Head Office. For the tsunami, we had something immediately set up for donations to be matched. The day of the London bombings, we were instantly updated about things. I guess because Mississippi and Louisiana hold no office, we're less interested. I'm going to see if I can contact the president and get something going.

Yes, Mr. Ring of Fire isn't the president of his volcanic company. The president, of course, is Mother Earth. (And boy can she be a mother!..)

Mr. Ring of Fire

PS Oh, and is there any way we can drop Bruce off by helicoptor onto a rooftop in New Orleans for a few days? Perhaps that would give him some perspective-

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen sister!

ChinaGirl

(The above was said with not even an ounce of sarcasm, which Silent knows without my saying it, but other readers may not)

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Ring of Fire, I'm with you. My sweatshop organized a fundraising effort for tsunami relief and matched all employee contributions. Not a word has been said thus far about helping the 1.5 million people who will need to be sheltered for at least 6-8 weeks right here in our own country. Of course, I don't find that at all surprising, since the sweatshop owner is a racist Asian who tends to favor Asians over Americans right here in his own company.

However, because I like to stir up trouble, I fully intend to contact HR today to inquire as to whether the company would be willing to support another drive to raise money to help the Red Cross disaster relief. I don't hold out much hope, but at least I'll have tried.

ChinaGirl

9:24 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Long before the SuperDome,
Where the Saints of football play,
Lived a city that the damned called home,
Hear their hellish roundelay...

New Orleeeans...
Home of pirates, drunks, and whores!
New Orleeeans...
Tacky, overpriced, souvenir stores!
If you want to go to Hell, you should make that trip
to the Sodom and Gomorrah on the Mississipp'!

New Orleeeans...
Stinking, rotten, vomiting, vile!
New Orleaaans...
Putrid, brackish, maggoty, foul!
New Orleeeans...
Crummy, lousy, rancid, and rank!

New Orleeeans!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Craig...

Great Simpsons refrence there :D

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home