Thursday, September 22, 2005

Wondering...

Ok folks, I have an informal poll to take.

Huh huh... huh huh huh... she said pole.

Back in August we started collecting money for BigCharity for our Big Charity Event. Some of us began asking for donations at that time, and some people put it off until closer to the Event, which is later in the fall. Unfortunately for those people, Hurrican Katrina intervened and now many people's charity budgets are going toward aid for that disaster. I've anticipated having a hard time raising money now, and all of us laid off the fundraising for the few weeks following Katrina. In response to the disaster, BigCharity donated a very healthy sum to help with the situation in the Gulf. I have been mentioning this when giving my spiel now that I've started up again.

However, one broker called and said he felt very uncomforatble asking for donations in the wake of the disaster. (ouch. wrong choice of words.) He said he'd talked to a few people and both were offended that he asked them for money for a charity other than ones going to the Katrina relief efforts. Now, I can completely understand not wanting to beg for donations at a time like this, to each his own. But people getting offended? What the heck is so offensive about asking for a donation for a worthy cause? This is a very solid charity, and totally non-partisan (i.e. not Save The Seals International or something like that). I understand that people may have given a lot to the relief effort and not have anything else left over, that's fine. But to get offended? I'm not sure I get that. This charity's cause hasn't ceased needing assistance because of the hurricane, so I don't get why people would be offended. Am I way off base on this one? Like I said, I do understand that people might not want to give, and I am not the type to push them. But I don't get the offended part.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless I actually heard someone being offended, I think the guy might have been putting the drama on; that way he can make it look like he'd TRY to get people to give to the charity, but he wouldn't want to OFFEND anyone.

I can't see people getting offended - unless you're somewhere near the gulf, then you're just a pinhead. Otherwise, there are still a lot of good causes who have to stay in the black.

Mr. Ring of Fire

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Offended" -- LOL! Try "cheap"!

Don't put off fundraising -- people (well, sensible people) understand that there are other troubles in the world that require their generosity.

I work for a non-profit. Last year we thought we wouldn't make our targets because of people donating to the election campaigns and then the tsunami disaster. People would feel "tapped out," donor fatigue, etc.

It turned out to be our best year ever.

Wait to see what the immediate fall-out will be after Hurricane Rita, but then carry on.

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand why people would be offended. Although Katrina was a horrible disaster...there are still plenty of people in this country that are suffering and need help.
wizardsheart

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he's full of it. Unless he asked an Evacuee from Katrina, who in their right mind would be offended by being asked for a donation to a good cause? Granted, it's a huge tragedy, but the worlds other problems don't cease just because the Red Cross (which is a great organization) is going into high gear fundraising mode. I think he probably just feels uncomfortable asking for donations (for anything) and he's going to use this as his way out of doing it.

Smalls

10:27 AM  
Blogger Zippy Buggleshorts said...

Speaking as a professional fundraiser, I think you would be surprised at how personally people take their donations. You have to tread carefully.

Still, it's no reason to stop your efforts. Your coworker is obviously uncomfortable asking for money. Many people are.

If you have not already done so, this may be a good time to adjust your request to reflect recent events. Maybe a sentence or two explaining why their help is particularly needed now and how challenging fundraising may be in the future.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Gladys Cortez said...

See, this is why I have problems with the media; every disaster becomes THE ONLY disaster, and it drives out the perfectly legitimate needs that already existed before it occurred.

Like the other commentors, I'm thinking the guy might have been dramatizing a bit. I don't think anyone should be offended just because you ask for donations--unless you're asking with a semi-automatic weapon of some sort.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words: Drama. Queen.

Most likely, said broken is offended by asking for money that's not going to pad his own pockets. :-P

ChinaGirl

7:40 PM  
Anonymous noel said...

Often I choose not to fund raise because I am very uncomfortable asking people for money. But the times I have, I only ask people who would be comfortable saying no to me (because they are friends or family).

Offended? That's just crazy. Unless - as other people have said - he asked someone who was personally affected by Katrian.

Love your site! It often helps get me through those bad co-workers days!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

People are offended by fund-raising? Why does this surprise anyone? People are FUCKING STUPID. Of course there's going to be assholes out there who feels morally indignant that you're fund-raising for something other than the Flood Bowl.

I say, if you get another response like that, tell 'em you know where they live and you're gonna send them an envelope full of the Ebola Virus. And then when they ask for dontations to fight the virus, tell 'em you'll be too offended to donate.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home