Thursday, October 13, 2005

Makes ya wonder

My boss got into a serious accident today. She somehow not only survived, but managed to escape with a collarbone broken in two places and dislocated shoulder, and despite the amount of glass flying around inside her vehicle, not a single scratch. She was on her way to our office from the other office, when her SUV hydroplaned (it's been incredibly rainy here lately), spun around, hitting another car and then slamming into the cement divider head-on, then flipping over three or four times (she lost count). She somehow survived all that and crawled out of the window. Her briefcase and everything was all over the highway but somehow she managed to borrow someone's phone and call us at work. She was hysterical and it was nearly impossible to understand her and we had no idea where she was or where they were taking her. For an hour I frantically refreshed traffic reports (she told us what highway she was on but we didn't know exactly where) trying to get an idea of where she was. Finally after calling the state police they directed me to the hospital they thought she'd been taken to, and when I called there they said yes, we have her in the ER. They transferred me there, and all the nurse could tell me was that she was there, and that the doctor hadn't even seen her yet and she hadn't been officially admitted. At that point I realized she must not be too bad off, if she had the presence of mind to call us and the doctor hadn't said "Holy shit this woman is dying, I must see her right away!!!". I asked the nurse if she had any idea how badly she was hurt... she must have heard the concern in my voice because she said "Oh honey, she's ok, she's over there joking around with the driver".

Yep. That's my boss. Of course as soon as I hung up the phone I lost it. All I had known up to that point was that she'd flipped over and was on the way to the hospital. I hate being a girl and having pesky emotions. Naturally, our budgets are due tomorrow, and she is the one who works on the budgets. Just as naturally, when her boss and I called corporate to explain and ask for a few extra days, they said no. Assholes. You have zillions of other offices around the country and you NEED our budget tomorrow? So her boss and I stayed late working on the budget- neither of us had a clue what we were doing. Thankfully she'd already had most of it done and there wasn't a lot to do. Do you believe she called us from the ER sobbing, apologizing about the budgets. I'm going to smack her when I see her. Lightly, so as not to jar her shattered collarbone too much.

So, Whoever or Whatever is out there watching over my boss and making sure she didn't end up like the pancake her SUV currently is, thank you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear your boss is alright, and I hope she gets better very very soon - and if you will allow me, the silver lining is, this will overshadow Nutjob for at least 24 .. MAYBE even 48 hours ... before she launches a barrage of questions to everyone regarding her wedding.

But then... well.. may Whoever who was watching over Silent Boss watch over the rest of us ... and plug our ears.


Mr. Ring of Fire

10:18 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Or gag Nutjob's mouth? That would be a lot less work.

Wait... maybe not.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pass my best wishes on to Hurricane You-Know-Who when you smack... I mean... see her.

ChinaGirl

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I hope your boss is okay. I have to say that I tend to break down after the fact too. :o)
Wizardsheart

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home