Sunday, November 27, 2005

If you're not careful, I might turn you into a newt

I've mentioned before in this blog that I'm Pagan, and that I don't talk much about my beliefs at work nor wear Pagan jewelry. That has always bothered me a bit- if others can wear crosses and stars of David, I should be able to be comfortable wearing a pentacle. I'm not talking about some big obnoxious flashy thing, or loading myself down with them- that would be as annoying as Nutjob running around reminding everyone she's Jewish every three seconds. I'm talking about a small, tasteful symbol of my religious beliefs. Still, I felt it better not to rock the boat.

Well, all of that has changed. I've been going through a major reawakening of my religious beliefs lately, and as part of my "rebirth" I feel the desire to wear the star on a pretty much daily basis. I already had one that I received as a gift from somone on the same path some time ago, however, it was quite large and mounted on a piece of obsidian, making it not only flashy but noisy as well, as it would clink against the stone whenever I moved. Not office material. So, I decided to purchase a small silver pentacle pendant that I could wear without feeling like I was standing up with a megaphone yelling "Hey everyone! Look at me! I'm Pagan!!!" Interestingly enough, I found (was lead to?) a silver frog pendant with a pentacle carved on it's back. If you could see my cube at work, you'd know why my boss's kid calls me The Frog Lady. It was perfect, so I ordered it, and it just recently arrived. Tomorrow will be the first day I will wear it in the office, and while I am confident that there will be no negative repercussions, I know there will be a few questions, which I am prepared to answer and actually welcome. The more people know about something the less they can make assumptions about it and fear it.

So, boys and girls, wish me luck tomorrow. Perhaps this will work in my favor and the brokers will be afraid to piss me off.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best with the pendant. I'll pour some yak's blood in a circle for luck for you and then sing Kool & the Gang's "We Are Family" later tonight.


Mr. Ring of Newt/Fire

(in all honestly, best of luck. As its a religion that is shrouded in really bad horror movies, its going to take a lot to change people's minds.)

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck...and good for you. There is no reason that you should feel like you need to hide your beliefs! :o) You might will probably get more questions then anything else. :o)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Good luck! And if anyone bothers you, turn them into a newt! :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Only people who want to reamain willfully ignorant will do so. You are very good at explaining what your beliefs are.

Also, this is a great time of year to talk about it. You can remind them that Christmas was stolen...agh, never mind.

How is a nice Lutheran girl like me always ends up with friends who are Pagan?

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Christmas wasn't stolen. We merely decided. The pagans were having tons of fun and not inviting us Christians to any of it, so we decided to put one of our biggest Holy days of the year smack down right next to it. Its not our fault ours gets better publicity. Blame Charles Schultz for making that damn popular Charlie Brown Christmas Special.

(does his little Snoopy dance)

Mr. Ring of Fire

11:37 AM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

You are right Mr Ring of Fire. We were just mad they didn't invite us. We showed them hahahaha!

12:16 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Hey now. Who wants to invite people to your party when you can see into the future with your magical powers and know they're going to burn you at the stake?

12:32 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Oh yeah, and besides, we knew you were too uptight to get naked and dance around the fire with us.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Firstly, if you knew we were gonna burn you at the stake why didn't you start frying a few of us?

Secondly. Give us Lutherans enough Mead and we'll dance nekkid anywhere. A lot of us are German after all.

12:55 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Firstly, we thought we'd take the high road so that we could have huge persecution complexes 1000 years down the line.

Secondly, it's too bad we were so worried about you Lutherans, because the Catholics really took us by surprise. After all... NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GET THE COMFY CHAIR!

And suuuuure you can see into the future. Right. What's next - you're going to make statues cry?

Ohhhhhh I'm going to hell.



Mr. Ring of Fire

1:51 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

I thought you already lived there, with all that fire and sulfur and pyroclastic debris everywhere.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I only WORK there, SW. To live here would just be too much.

And can we have an instant update on how it is actually going with your paganism at work? (your "PAW" as it were...)

Mr. Ring of Fire

2:47 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

You know, I had witty combacks, but I just spit tea all over my desk. No expects the Spanish Inquisiton.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Our chief weapon is Surprise. Surprise and Fear--Fear and Surprise--our TWO weapons are Fear and Surprise and Ruthless Efficiency--our THREE weapons--are Fear, Surprise, and Ruthless Efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Our FOUR... no... AMONGST our weapons--amongst our WEAPONRY--are such elements as: Fear, Surprise--

I'll come in again.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Craig wins this round

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto this site and can't stop laughing -- you must please give us a rundown of characters so we can know the cast. I know it would be too much to give more than that but there needs to be some sort of "guide" for us firsttimers....this is just too funny!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home