Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Deck the halls

It's rare, but it does happen. Once in a while, I actually *gasp* make a mistake. I don't even have anything fun to blame it on this time, but somehow I completely forgot to order poinsettias for our office. Usually, our plant company sends me a contract to sign in October, and I fax it back to them and that's that. For some reason I totally spaced out on it and completely forgot to sign it and fax it back. Even worse, I forgot that I forgot. On Monday when I came back to the office, I noticed the pretty white poinsettias in our lobby and thought about how nice they looked. When I got upstairs to our office, the lack of festive flowers was glaringly obvious. So, I called the plant company to find out when they'd arrive. Um, well, never, since you didn't order any. Ack! I asked them to send us whatever they could, just so we had something. To their credit, they showed up two days later with all of the plants and the wreath we usually order.

Now for the last few days I'd been feeling pretty smug, since no one was complaining about the lack of poinsettias in the office. I figured I'd gotten away with it and no one would be any the wiser. I should have known better. My boss called me from the other office today.

MyBoss: Why don't we have poinsettias up there?

Me: We do, they just arrived today.

MyBoss: Oh. Why so late?

Me: Well, I'm not sure what happened. I thought I'd sent them the contract but they didn't have it, so they thought we didn't order any. I got them to bring some by anyway though.

MyBoss: Oh, ok. Because PartnerInCrime was bitching to the receptionist down here about it.

Me: What? Why would he care?

MyBoss: I don't know, he was going on about how festive it was down here and how you guys had nothing up there. Hey! Do you have the Christmas tree up?

Me: No.... we didn't put it up last year and no one noticed, so it hasn't been put up this year. Besides, it looks really cheesy.

MyBoss: Oh. Well if it looks bad.... But we have to have a Christmas tree. We have to have one because it's, you know, Catholic. (MyBoss is Catholic. You wouldn't know it.)

Me: Uh, ok, I'll put it up.

MyBoss: No! Wait we can't put it up if we don't have a menorah.

Me: I think we have one, somehwere in the back. Didn't we have one once?

MyBoss: Oh, ok.

Me: Do you want me to put the tree up?

MyBoss: No, not if we have a menorah up, we need both.

Me: We don't have a menorah up.

MyBoss: You just said we did!

Me: I said we have one somewhere.. it's not up front on display.

MyBoss: Oh. Ok. I have to think about this. I'll call you back.

Well I'm glad someone's tackling the important problems.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the Kwanza menorah-thingy?

SquishyGirl

4:42 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Hey, if we don't get a Yule log, they don't get a Kwanza thingy.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its this kind of madness that makes me happy that I work in a volcano where any ornament - Catholic, Jewish, Pagan, or completely made up, (yeah you heard me), turns into ash just as quickly as everything else.


Ho, ho, ho,

Mr. Merry Ring of Fire

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bah humbug


SH

6:20 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

huh huh huh! you said "bah humbug!" huh huh

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Christmas tree is Catholic??? Oh, no - I've been putting one up all these years! I guess I better come up with something else quick.

Smalls
(A very confused Protestant)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Wizard said...

Our company has gone completely PC. We no longer have a Christmas tree, or a Holiday tree (nasty looking fake snow covered fir with ugly purple balls all over it). This year, we have these 3 2 1/2 foot crystals on sticks..... Not sure what to make of it.....

1:28 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

2 1/2 foot crystals? Sounds a little New-Agey to me. If you really wanted to start trouble you could ask why their religion gets to take the place of everyone else's. Is it because it's the one likely to offend the most people? Ha ha ha.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home