Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry/Happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, Diwali, Kwanza, Orthodox Christmas and anything else I forgot

Quick update because I'm trying to process revenue and get out of here:

1. My boss told me she didn't bring my gift yesterday because it's something alive. And she didn't think it would survive the cold sitting in my car during the party. Oh dear.

2. Someone is wandering around the office singing "White Christmas". Wow, that's daring. That's 2 PC demerits against him: "white" and "Christmas".

3. Musketeer #3 told Musketeer #1 (who wasn't at the party) that I got wild at the party yesterday. He said "You know the stupid pet tricks they do on Letterman? Well... I didn't think humans could do stuff like this". Ha ha ha. I told him I thought I'd sworn him to secrecy and now I'm going to take my sweet time processing his czechs. Oops. I mean checks. Sorry, hockey on the brain.

Seriously... happy whatever you celebrate, and if you don't celebrate anything, have a nice fun secular day off.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a merry Squishmas to you too!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I celebrate Christmas because I believe in the whole Catholic/Christian thing. So I'm taking a stand on this. If I meet up with someone from now on, I'm going to say Merry Christmas because I wish to share with them the occasion I believe in. If it is someone I know to be Jewish, then I will obviously wish them a happy Channakuh. I have yet to meet someone who actually celebrates Kwanza, but if I do, I'll wish that to him or her thereafter. But I'm just so horribly tired of the "happy holidays". It just seems so fake.

So, to SW, I wish merry Christmas (from someone who wishes to pass on the happiness of his own season) and a happy Winter Solstace and/or Feast of the Son of Isis.


Mr. Ring of Fire

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Addendum to post #1:

My disgust with the term "happy holidays" is in my own head, and has no bearing on other people who wish it. Just how it rolls off my own tongue.

That is all.

Have a great day

Mr. Ring of Fire

11:09 AM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

OMG..Mr. RoF are we parted souls?

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Ring-of-Fire....

Amen, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

ChinaGirl

2:53 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Ok, I have to chime in here. Up until this year, this whole "happy holidays" debate has kind of irked me. I mean, why is it offensive to wish someone a happy holiday, especially if they are a perfect stranger and you have no idea what they celebrate, if anything? However, after talking the issue over with my favorite Smelly Republican (waves to Violet) and my local Ring of Fire, I can kind of see the other side now. The point ROF makes about wanting to share the happiness of *his* holiday is one I hadn't thought of before. For example, I would not be offended if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, or any other holiday that I don't celebrate. They're simply passing on their good wishes to me. So I smile and say "thank you". But I guess some people are a little more sensitive to the issue, and don't like people to assume they celebrate one holiday or another. So what's the harm in saying "happy holidays" then? It's just as sincere as "Merry Christmas", it's just a nod to the diversity around us.

Please note, I am talking about complete strangers here, or people you know only in passing and don't know their religious affiliation. In the case of people I know well enough to know what their religion is, I will wish them a happy whatever-they-celebrate.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

Sweetie...I'm the ONLY smelly Republican you know.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home