Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2 more things of note

1. - I realized at some point during the day, that I had a dream last night that Jane had a blog where she recorded all of the things I said and/or did that ticked her off. Guily conscience much?

2. - This afternoon our intranet slowed down to the pace of continental drift. I called our tech support, even though I was sure every other office was calling at the same time. Because you know the one time I don't call, the problem will be local to our office and tech support won't even know about it. Anyway... Here was my incredibly satisfying conversation:

Me: Hi, its SilentWitness in BlogOffice. Are we having intranet troubles?

TechChick: Yeah, it's just really slow.

Me: Oh... Ok. It's taking about 5 mintues to send a print job to my printer.

TechChick: It's a firewall thing.

Me: Ok... is there any estimate-

TechChick: We're working on it.

Well, ok, I'm sure she was tired of answering the phone and saying "yes our connection is slow". And it's obvious you guys have no idea what the problem actually is. But sheesh, at least make up an entertaining explanation, like the time you told me "don't tell anyone but the real problem is someone tripped over the power cord".

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estimates are very nasty things. Because when most people ask for an estimate, they're asking for the drop-dead date that something will be fixed by. If someone gives you an estimate that a computer network will be back up in fifteen minutes, if it is not done in twenty minutes, people freak out and then suddenly you have everyone calling you -again-. I think the person should have given you a better idea of the situation, but overall, it has to be tough getting the same question again and again. (and again and again).

Mr. Ring of Fire

PS Actually Jane does have a blog, its called Co-Workers for Whining

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am really sorry i was the one who tripped over the power cord thingie

8:48 PM  
Blogger SilentWitness said...

Point taken, Mr ROF, but I do need to be able to have *some* kind of answer for when I get the question over and over. ;)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Violet Meeks-Kane said...

You'd be suprised by how often someone trips over the power cords

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH! Is the blog caput? Anyone? Haven't seen a new post since 1/3 :-(

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home