Monday, February 13, 2006

Fatherly advice

There's a broker in the office who I rarely mention here, because he's actually sane and so doesn't end up in many of my stories. He's a really nice person, a "real" person, which is rare to find in this industry, and consequently, he doesn't make any money. But he's genuinely concerned about people, and for some reason has kind of taken me under his wing. I'll call him DearOldDad, since he's sort of like a father figure in a way. (Not that my own father is absent or lacking, but he doesn't work here in the office. Naturally.)

Anyway, at the office holiday party, DearOldDad and I were chatting up a nice friendly storm, one of those conversations that for people like me, who are petrified of talking to people and hate small talk, was going much easier with the aid of a glass of wine. When I have a slight buzz I get very talkative. Very, very talkative. Not that I divulge secrets, just that you really can't shut me up. Somehow we got onto the topic of things we'd always wanted to do, and when I mentioned I would love to be a goalie, he just about fell off his chair in surprise, and asked me several times if I was serious. I think he thought I was too dainty to want to do something that crazy (or sweaty). But I told him I was serious, and he asked why I didn't go for it, and I proceded to give him a long list of reasons (excuses) why I "couldn't" do it.

I've been thinking about that conversation for a long time. This weekend I decided to tell my inner ninny to shut the hell up, and SilentHusband and I went out and bought a bunch of satisfyingly scruffy, used goalie gear. I love it. I can't wait to start learning, start practicing. Even just getting out and skating will be fun, I've had my ass parked in the house for too long. (Naturally this weekend we got buried under 8 feet of snow, and I wasn't able to go out and play. So I strapped all my gear on and SilentHusband threw pucks at me in the living room.)

I felt I had to share this information with DearOldDad, so I stopped by his office for a chat. His first concern was for my safety.

DOD: You have to make sure you're well protected. (Ok, now he REALLY sounds like a dad).

Me: Oh, I'm all set except for the helmet, which I'm getting soon. I've got the leg pads, chest protector, blocker and glove. It's great!

DOD: Well you really ought to think about getting a cup.

Me- (look of disbelief... did he really just SAY that?)

DOD: Seriously... you need some kind of protection for.... that area.

Me: You know I was actually wondering about that myself.

DOD: Even if you don't get a cup, get a jock and stuff some socks in it. You don't want to have the decision of having kids or not be made for you. The puck doesn't care if you're a girl or a guy.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd decided long ago not to have kids, besides, that wasn't the point. I was partially touched by his concern and partially incredibly amused that of all the things he could say when I told him I decided to go after what I wanted, he told me to get a cup. Or stuff socks in my pants. Man, I love this place.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was among one of my questions as well. Though women keep their thingies on the inside, its still an incredibly sensitive area so I thought there would HAVE to be some kind of guard for a woman's special place. I actually looked it up but could only find chastity belts. (kidding, kidding) Wow, first this for Dear Old Dad, next thing you'll see is him sitting down with you to talk about the birds and the bees. ;)

Drop the puck.

Mr. Ring of Fire

1:56 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

So I strapped all my gear on and SilentHusband threw pucks at me in the living room.

Yes, but doesn't Silent Husband normally ask to do this?

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just now catching up here, and I cannot stop laughing about this post... :) (and these comments rock too!) :D

Go on with your bad self, GoalieGal!!

-Sharksfan

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home