Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Busted

A little while ago, I happened to be at the front desk when the UPS man came to pick up our outgoing packages. I thought it a little odd that he said to me "Wow, you look so conservative!", but I didn't think much of it. (Didn't think much of it other than to IM ChinaGirl immediately and say I'm in a corporate environment, wearing a regular business suit type outfit- how is that conservative? It's the norm.) Anyway... this afternoon as I was walking past the front desk from dropping something off at MarketingGal's cube, the same UPS guy was standing there, chatting with the receptionist while waiting for someone to finsih a package. I stopped and asked him if he'd be back at 5:30 (our normal pickup time) and he said he wouldn't but someone else would be. Then he added:

UPS Guy: I just can't get over how conservative you look now.

Me (stopping dead in my tracks and turning around): What are you talking about?

UPS Guy: Well you used to look all goth and everything, now you look so conservative.

Me: Do I know you from somewhere other than here?

(Immediately the receptionist's and RunOnSentence's ears pricked up... I could see them thinking "ooooh this could get interesting!")

UPS Guy: No... I've been doing your pickups for like four years. And you used to look really goth.

Me (genuinely puzzled): But I don't dress any different now than I did 4 years ago. Oh! (it hit me) I used to have really long hair, that's probably it.

UPS Guy: Oh yeah! That's what's different! You just look so conservative now.

Dude. The jacket and pants I'm wearing, I've had for a few years. Nothing about me is different except for the haircut. So stop making the girls at the front desk think I walked around here in flowing black gossamer dresses, fishnets and combat boots. Because I stopped dressing like that on a regular basis about ten years ago.

D'oh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shorter hair definitely does have that conservative air about it. It seems a part of the natural evolution of most women's hairstyles - long during college, then when they have their feet in the professional world long enough (or become mothers - or both), the hair gets a little shorter to easier management, I guess. But that he thinks it is SO conservative, IS a little strange.

Mr. Ring of Fire

11:02 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

flowing black gossamer dresses, fishnets and combat boots.

Ah, the good old days: when women wore dark eyeliner and men wore dark eyeliner, too.

Lipstick on my cig-a-rette....

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i never wore eyeliner ... now those fishnet stockings ... biy do i miss them!!!!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home