Thursday, June 01, 2006

Guten Morgen, mein Herr

Musketeer #1 is obsessed with Nazis. I am sure this goes back to his childhood, when his father (of German descent) just up and left the family. Any person from Germany or of German descent is therefore automatically a Nazi. Still, he has a sort of love/hate thing going on with his German heritage, because he randomly put an umlaut (those two funny dots, for those of you who don't know) over one of the vowels in his very German last name, and everyone thinks that's how it's spelled. I only recently found out myself that it doesn't really "belong" there, he just put it there because he felt like it.

He does a lot of work with European companies, so every once in a while he'll run across some Germans, and because he knows I majored in German, he always mentions it. This morning, we were both at the coffee maker at the same time (me for my 2nd cup, and I'd only been here for an hour), and he told me he had to show me this card he got from "a Nazi".

Me: A Nazi?

Him: Yeah. I met these two Nazis yesterday, right off the boat. Come on, let me show you this.

Me (following him): Are you sure they were actually Nazis?

Him: Of course. They were German.

When we got to his office he handed me two business cards, both of which were double sided, with the information in German on one side and English on the other.

Him: Look at the German side. Look at this guy's title. What the hell is that?!

It said "Geschäftsführer". It didn't hit me at first.

Me: Ok... it means "managing director".

Him: Why does it say "Führer"?!?!

Me: Oh! Well that's really just a regular word. It means "leader".

Him: Oh, ok. Well, I don't think he should be handing those cards out over here! I expected him to come goose-stepping into my office.

Well, since all Germans are Nazis, why wouldn't he?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just.. yipes. I think I file this one under, "A little information is a dangerous thing".

In other news, I've been a busy boy turning blue lakes red and making all those post-grunge Starbuckians jump in Seattle cause of Mt. St. Helen's rumbling. heh heh heh

Mr. Ring of Fire

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home